Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oven Baked Onion Rings

On my last menu plan, I listed Oven Baked Onion Rings for Monday night. I was asked how I made them so I thought I’d share them with you. This recipe must have come from somewhere on t.v. because it looks like I wrote it in my notebook pretty quickly…lol…

Oven Baked Onion Rings

Vidalia Onions cut into rings

4-5 cups potato chips

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (we use a little more)

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 TBS flour

Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Crush your potato chips either by hand or food processor to make fine crumbs. Place the crumbs in a shallow dish (I use a pie plate) and add the cayenne pepper.

In another shallow dish mix your buttermilk, salt, pepper & 2 TBS flour.

Put 1/2 - 1 cup flour in a big ziplock bag and add your onion rings. Shake to coat. Take them out of the bag and dip them in the buttermilk then into the crumbs. Place them on your baking sheet and spray them with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Easy Peasey and so much better for you than deep frying them. ENJOY!!

To make these healthier, you could substitute the potato chips with baked chips, and use a low-fat buttermilk instead of the regular and you could skip the salt and use a salt substitute if you’d like.

1 comment:

Keli said...

I can't wait to try these! Thanks for posting and thanks for visiting my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...